Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

Content:

(1) LIA Response to blog:

Literal
 
Hours: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10AZtNFY9ZCSqvEnftgWmb4m_YS5y8CgOJrqX7YUqAqQ/edit
Ricky, Maria, Ana
Activity Coordinators
Contact Number: (626) 960-1971

Interpretive

The most important thing I learned from this experience is making connections with the patients and being able to be emotionally stable and not take everything to the heart because if you do, then you won't be able to go throughout the day. For example, let's say you are with a patient who cannot eat from the mouth, but eats through a tube. Lets say it's lunch time and all the other patients in the convalescent home are eating except for them. They tell you they are hungry and you're about to give them food, when out of nowhere Maria comes along and says no she cannot eat from the mouth. She can choke. I was astonished yet saddened by this. I told her I'm sorry you can choke. Your nurse will be right with you to feed you. She starts to whimper and says she's really hungry but I can't give her food and I feel so bad. I feel like im neglecting her. The nurse told me to not worry about it. Just go on to finish my duties and her nurse will be here soon. Well after some time of being at Sierra Care View, I started to stabalize my emotions with the seniors there.  I know if they were to cry or get mad, it was out of caring and love and not because we didn't like them. It's because we care for their health.
    
Applied

Well like I explained above, this answered my Essential question because all the LVNs (from observing there) need emotional stability when dealing with patients who are in pain all the time, the ones who have alzheimers, the patients who are in wheel chairs for the rest of their life or the patients who cannot eat normally like the rest of the patients there.





No comments:

Post a Comment